Thursday 3 January 2008

Van Gough Museum, Amsterdam

I found my visit to the Van Gough museum very inspirational. Vincent Van Gough, a post Impressionist produced work during the time between 1880-90. I admired many of Van Gough's paintings, particularly the landscape paintings and paintings of flowers. I admired his use of expressive brush marks, which added depth and texture to the piece. In some pieces I liked how organic patterns were created from the marks. I thought it was amazing how he combined a variety of vivid colours into a range of different marks. Van Gough took his inspiration from french mainstream art and artists including Claude Monet, Paul Gauguin, Paul Signac and also Japanese woodblock prints.

His life story was also interesting, he had no formal educational knowledge of painting and taught himself with help from various drawing and painting classes. Therefore it was interesting to see how his painting progressed over time. His mental problems must have also had an effect on his work, and in the end Van Gough shot himself, but has been a great influence to many artists including Picasso.

No comments: